Monday, March 29, 2010

Over a plate of sushi, or maybe a cup of coffee

For me, there is nothing better in this world than a good plate of sushi. A close second is a cup of coffee. I mention THE Starbucks a lot on here, I've noticed (and I promise that I'll elaborate on that in the future), so I'll talk about sushi.

There's a ton of good sushi here in Dallas, but one of my absolute favorites is close to my home town. My family have been going to this local sushi restaurant called Toshio's in Duncanville, TX since we moved here from the Philippines in the early 90's. It was tiny, hole-in-the-wall joint that served really good sushi and dynamite dinner platters ... HUGE, dinner platters. Its a great place to have a nice meal and a good conversation.

They got really popular not too long, and they soon relocated to a newer, more upscale place in town to accommodate more people. That's what happens when you serve good food with a good attitude, but the main reason I'm telling a story about this place is because of a couple who I met there long ago. Who are now two of my dearest friends.

There was a young waiter, Michael, who is the son of the former owner of Toshio's. He often served my family when we went there for either lunch or dinner. He's a very likable and knowledgeable of his sushi. It helped that he was part Japanese, it made the experience feel authentic. =)

We were usually led to our table by their hostess Heather. Cute, bubbly... and bubbly. (Sorry Heather! That was the extent of my experience with you at Toshio's. Michael took care of us the rest of the time. =P) She knew exactly where to sit us every time! (Did that help my case?? =) )

Michael and Heather took a liking to each other and soon started dating. It turned out that Michael and Heather were Starbucks regulars as well (surprise!), and soon found out that we hung out with the same people on a regular basis. So we all got to be friends, needless to say.

Michael's family eventually sold Toshio's to a partner, and Michael and Heather went on to pursue their studies. A year or so after Michael graduated, he popped the question. They asked me if I could do their engagement photos and their wedding, which I delightfully agreed to.

We all met up in downtown Waxahachie on a cold, ok, VERY COLD, Saturday morning. I brought my nephew, Lui, along as my assistant. I felt sorry for him since it was bitterly cold. Most of these were shot using natural light, and sometimes using a reflector when needed. Here's how a few of them turned out.



Here's Michael trying to act like he's hitting on Heather. "Trying" is the operative word. lol







Michael, again, I'm sorry for ruining your shirt. I'm sure there's a way to remove rust stains.




Here's a few "black and whites." They are actually duotones where i replace the white with a warmer color. I like this treatment better since it gives the photo a bit more warmth than normal black and white photos.





Unfortunately, I will not be able to attend their wedding and/or photograph it due to scheduling conflicts. I'll be going back home to the Philippines to visit family during that time.

The main question my family back home in the Philippines always asks me is, "Are you married yet?" or "When are you getting married?" or "Why aren't you in a relationship, you're almost 30?!?" To which I always painfully answer, "Just haven't found the right girl, I guess..." Its not that I don't try. I do sometimes, but right now, I just don't have time for a relationship. I'm too busy being behind a camera capturing other people's relationships. Maybe one of these days, I'll be on the other side of the lens having my photo taken with the love of my life. In the mean time, I'll just wait til I meet that girl. Maybe get to know her over a plate of sushi, or even maybe a cup of coffee. Like Michael and Heather did.

Congrats you two!

GZ

No comments:

Post a Comment