Wednesday, March 17, 2010

3/13/2010 - Stroker's Biker Bar

As I mentioned in my last post, I'm learning this whole lighting movement called Strobist. Its practically for photographers who wants to travel light (no pun intended) and not have to carry big freakin' strobes. Basically the whole idea is using a few flashes and setting them up on stands the way you want them (or have someone hold them), and triggering them with a remote trigger that's on your camera. It could be a lot cheaper too if you know what to look for.

I have been a part of a local photography MeetUp group for a little while and last Saturday was my first shoot with them. I didn't actually sign up. Just there to drink while my roommate, Scott, went and shot photos. I happened to have my stuff with me, and the organizer was kind enough to let me get into the action.

Here's how a few of them turned out...
Harley Davidson 883 Iron, which is Scott's bike. This thing sounds GOOD.


They hired a few models for the shoot, mostly girls, edgy looking girls. They look intimidating, but they're pretty nice. This is Diana.



This is Crystal, she was pretty fun to shoot. Very natural in front of a camera, which made it easy.





Here's Ashley with this full custom bobber style bike. I wanted that bike soooo bad.



I didn't catch this kid's name. He was pretty young considering he had no idea what I was doing when I tried to roll up a pack of cigarettes in his sleeve. For a guy who looks like he jumped out of the pages of the Outsiders, he had no clue. We had fun anyway, nice kid.



For the most part, I shot with one light. Mostly high at a 45 degree angle in front of the model. In some instances, I had the light behind for a hair light and had my other flash in my non-shooting hand on optical as a fill light.

It was pretty nerve-wracking that day. Kinda got a bit self conscious with other photographers around. Now that I've got one out of the way, I think I'm all set for the next MeetUp. Vintage planes and cars.

No comments:

Post a Comment