Sunday, August 1, 2010

Worth waiting for

I didn't take this image, hence there's no watermark, but I just wanted to share. This was taken a couple of weeks ago during one of our happy hours. These are the wonderful people whom I work with—the staff at CURE Magazine. The best staff ever.


These are by far the most passionate group of people when it comes to doing their job that I have worked with. Informing people about the latest in the world of cancer isn't just a job for us, its a way of life.

I know, for a lot of people, there are days when they don't want to wake up to go to work. I know I used to be that way, but when you truly enjoy your job, there's less of that. Working on CURE is one of the blessings in my life. Its not just getting to design, going on photo shoots, and making videos. It's getting to do something meaningful, producing something that affects other people, something people clamor for, and something that might change a person's way of thinking about his or her cancer experience is such a wonderful thing to experience. It's something that is worth waking up for. A meaning in life. We do this at CURE on a daily basis, and that is a blessing. Sharing that experience with the folks above in the photo is just icing on the cake.

Each one of us has our own cancer story (or stories for a few) that motivates us to do what we do. A story that we remind ourselves each day when we start our work. The story of the people who we do this for—the people we love who have experienced a bout with cancer, the people we lost, the people who read our magazine. For a couple of the staff, its a personal thing. Two of them are cancer survivors, and one of them going through a recurrence. For me, she's the one who is motivating me to do the best job I can.

Its kind of funny when I think about where I was almost 4 years ago. When I was an unemployed 26 yr old. Two years out of college, trying my hardest to find a job, with little or no luck. Then came an email, which I first I thought was spam, that changed my life. I was fed up with interviews that led to nowhere. So quite honestly, I didn't even try that hard. I started a few weeks later, laying out medical journals about cancer. Then a year later, a position opened up at CURE, so I thought I'd apply. I ended up getting the job and starting what I would consider the best job I have ever had.

I consider myself blessed for this experience. As you can see, there's only a handful of us that work at CURE, producing the actual magazine–not including all the amazing freelance writers and photographers and illustrators we use that make the content one of a kind. We are like a big family, and that's something you won't find in an everyday work place. I don't mean to brag, but its pretty amazing. Seriously the best staff ever.

GZ

No comments:

Post a Comment